Sunday, September 6, 2009

"The New Normal", if they keep saying this it won't be new anymore!

The main phrase out of NYC over an over again is "The New Normal". I would think as creative as these designers are and claim to be that they could think of something a little more interesting to call a time when consumers are getting back to reality and eliminating their obsession with greed . You know not everyone has to have a Birkin bag, we may want one but it doesn't mean we need or have to have it. And if you think about it a typical Birkin costs 7000. That could be a down payment on a house, college education or a car. So once again WWD. posts an article on the New Normal, for which I am going to call NN. It takes too long to type 9 letters. Alan Schwartz , who some might recognize as the guy who knocks off designer dresses 5 minutes after they hit the Oscars, says that "It will never go back to the way it was.....and that's a good thing becaue a lot of those people(I think he means designers) that were in there(stores) shouldn't have been.
I'm thinking that's because they had ORIGINAL DESIGNS, and took away some of his SALES!
Neal Kusnetz, president of Robert Graham(an amazing blouse and mens shirt line, says" We keep levels limited, well having bought them in the past and as a consumer let me assure you it's not because of their uniqueness which they are it's because of their cost. Wholesale on average $137 to $175, retail minimum to $230, and you have to dry clean them. And Seth Morris of Carol Hockman (no idea who that is) states" There's nothing wrong with creating demand from being out of stock on hot trends" Ok, your out of stock, I don't buy from your store, I am mad, I am determined to get it, Oh I know the perfect place, there's a little alley in China town off Canal street that will have it for let's say 75% less. Duh! This creates knockoffs, which by the way the CFDA has been fighting for years!!!
And here's the best one yet it a quote by Erin Armendinger, a director of Pennsylvania's Wharton School in the retailing initiative, YIKES! states," I would never say people going out of business is a good thing, but this will make us more efficient. We are over-retailed, overstored, overlabeled. I don't think one day this is going to be over and the faucet will turn back on. That era of overspending, "I'll just put it on my credit card" is over"
And I bet all you fashion majors paying 40,000 a year want her as a professor.
And to that I really can't say anything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment