Wednesday, September 2, 2009

banana republic, it's time to change

Today I thought that i would treat myself to a birthday present (it's Saturday by the way)
And I had a few discount cards from BR. So i went to Garden City with my sister, and we went into the BR. e walked around with no one approaching us at all. (let me say we were dressed in jeans, so now I hope you know where this is going) we walked throughout the store, no one approached. Instead all 3 associates were behind the cash wrap chatting with what i would say was a regular. She bought 2 pairs of shoes, More detail later. My sister pointed out a pair of jeweled ballet flats. They were 98$. I decided, like I always do when it comes to shoes to try them on. As I took the size 6 sample I waited for someone to come over, Nope, not happening. So I decided to walk to the cash wrap, nice interrupt the fawning over the regular and ask for some help. Well in comes Madge. I told her the 2 sizes I wanted to try on, she came out i about 5 minutes with only one pair stating she did not have the other size. Meanwhile, now here comes the interesting part, I found a pair of wedges 120$ that I wanted to try on, so as she put the ballet flats on the leather bench and started walking away, I asked to try another shoe on, OMG, I asked to try another shoe on. And here was the reply, "Can you just tell me what you want so I don't have to walk back and forth" ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!!!!!!!
So I replied, I don't know what I want to try on.
She went to the computer and yelled through the shoe dept. that they didn't have one of the sizes I was looking for, but the other was in the back. I think the back had a black hole.
5 minutes, 10 minutes 12 minutes go by and my sister and I are watching Madge in the 3 way mirror having a lovely chat with someone in the fitting room, all the while holding the box of shoes that I want to try on. I actually almost went back there myself to get them from her.
She finally came out dropped the shoes on the bench and walked away again.
That was it, i purposely made it clear that I was going to call and complain once again to corporate, and oh that's right I have the district managers e mail address. Well that got their attention. Now it was my turn to leave the mdse and walk away.
And yes when I got home, I called corporate and sent an e mail too.
So Dear Madge, whether or not you are reprimanded or retrained you do not belong in a field that requires any contact whatsoever with another human being. Perhaps working in an environment where there is no need for human contact might be the way to go.

1 comment:

  1. WOW.. now I'm wondering when this employee was trained what she was told her primary responsibilities were?? Because in every single retail job I've had in the past 7 years the number one responsibility is the customer, making sure they are helped, happy, and most importantly buying something. I'll never understand a sales associate who expects to sell anything with rudeness!! And sorry it's not my problem if you don't feel like walking back and forth to get shoes because that's what you are getting paid to do. If you have some sort of problem where you can't walk, then retail is not the job for you. And I can say this because I happen to have a lowly retail job myself and give every single customer, no matter how annoying or demanding, the same service and a smile. It is NOT part of a sales associate's job to give such terrible service that you're prompted to come home and blog about it!

    ReplyDelete