Saturday, January 29, 2011

Welcome to my store

As an above average knowledgeable consumer I feel that I know a thing or two about how a customer should be treated when a guest in a store. It's very similar to when you visit a friends home or are invited to a dinner party, minus having to take off your shoes or leave your coat at the front front.
As you enter a store like any home someone should be there to say hello or greet you, one usually does not enter a friends home by just walking in and making themselves comfortable and then announcing that they are there, do they?
It should be the same, I like someone to welcome me, say hello, welcome to,,,, And that's it!
Please don't tell me about all of the sales that are going on, many to me are meaningless. Unless your going to tell me that the entire store is 60% off, or I'm the millionth customer and have won a new car. I'm OK with you just saying hello!
I stopped in a furniture store the other day (Bob's) and I was all but accosted. No sooner did I walk in a balding, man immediately came up to me, said his name ( I blocked it out, I always to in furniture stores) and proceeded to ask a million questions before the answer for the first one could come out of my mouth. As i continued to walk to try to escape (literally) he kept up right on the side, I can't even remember how many times I said thank you just going to look around. Well I was looking around alright, everywhere I turned there he was, a few steps behind. I was being stalked in a furniture store, Zip right out the door I went!
I feel oh so violated when I am in a furniture store, they ask questions about your style, what room, If I wanted them to see the inside of my house I would invite them over for drinks.
I truly truly hate shopping, yes it is a huge part of my life, hell I teach fashion and retail, but I don't teach customer service otherwise those big boys would all be FIRED!
Now on to a more delightful experience, ZAPPO'S.
You have to love when you can log on, see something you like, place an order, get a shipping confirmation all within 3 minutes and then within the next 24 hours, salespeople free, no tax, no shipping you mdse arrives, nicely boxed at your front door by the man in brown!
No one followed me around, told me about unnecessary items that I am not looking for or do not interest me, no tax, no shipping and if for any reason in 365 days I can return the item no questions asked and free shipping back! You just have to love Zappo's
Now Amazon just acquired Zappo's and I am hoping that they keep a great thing great. Amazon is considering doing away with the shipping too. not that it is expensive anyway and if you have prime it's free!
Can you imagine an Amazon and Zappo's store? Where you go in sit at a computer, key in what you want, and then 5 minutes later a computerized mannequin comes out of the stockroom door and hands you your mdse. Says thank you, turns and goes away! Ah, I think I am on to something here!
The point is, we get better service from a computer system than we do from human beings. You know those that have hearts and feelings. but yet the computer gets us what we want, when we want it and truly asks for nothing in return.
We used to say I love my sales person, their the best. I don't think we say that anymore. we may show feelings for them but I can guarantee it's not love!
Now off to shop ebay!

No comments:

Post a Comment